James Fisher's privacy statement
James Fisher and Sons plc recognises the importance of correct and lawful processing of personal data and is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Our privacy statement explains what type of personal data we collect, how and why we collect it, the conditions under which we may disclose it and the mechanisms we have in place to keep it secure.
This statement is also available to download - please see our privacy statement pdf.
Information about us
James Fisher and Sons plc (“James Fisher”) is a company registered in England with the registration number no. 211475 and the registered address Fisher House, P. O. Box 4, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 1HR, United Kingdom.
The James Fisher group of companies (the “Group”) refers to James Fisher or any of its subsidiaries or related companies which may change from time to time. The James Fisher website (“Website”) refers to www.james-fisher.com. “Subsidiary Websites” refers to James Fisher’s subsidiary or related company websites.
James Fisher is a leading service provider to all sectors of the global marine industry and a specialist supplier of specialist engineering services to the energy industry. For more information please visit the our story page.
What does the privacy statement cover?
The Group recognises the importance of correct and lawful processing of personal data and is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
As such, this privacy statement explains what type of personal data we collect, how and why we collect it, the conditions under which we may disclose it and the mechanisms we have in place to keep it secure.
Changes to our privacy statement:
We reserve the right at our sole discretion to change, add or remove provisions of this privacy statement at any time. Any changes we make to our privacy statement in the future will be included on this page and will come into effect immediately. Please check back frequently to view any updates or changes to our privacy statement.
This privacy statement was last updated on 18 May 2018.
As a visitor, you do not have to submit any personal information in order to use the Website. This Website and our Subsidiary Websites only collect personal information that is specifically and voluntarily provided by visitors.
The personal data we collect through our websites may include:
- Your name
- Job title
- Company name
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Postal address or location
- IP addresses
We may store and maintain any content you provide, including information on the particular James Fisher subsidiaries or related companies, markets, products and services you are interested in.
In some cases we may also collect information about your visit to the Website or Subsidiary Websites which is not personally identifiable. This may include:
- Your language preference
- Device (mobile, desktop, tablet) and browser used
- Your route to the Website or Websites
- Your demographic profile
- Behavioural indicators such as pages visited, time spent on the Website or Subsidiary Websites and links clicked.
We do not usually seek sensitive personal information from visitors unless required for business purposes when we would obtain your explicit consent to collect and process such information. Sensitive information includes data relating to:
- Race or ethnic origin
- Religious beliefs
- Criminal record
- Physical or mental health
- Sexual orientation
The Group also processes personal data not collected via websites for the purposes of business execution and in order to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, in relation to employees, shareholders, customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders. Information we may collect offline includes:
- Private contact information if necessary or voluntarily provided (such as name, postal or e-mail address, and phone number)
- Business contact and other information (such as job title, department, name of organisation and any dealings with the Group)
- Images relating to specific projects and scopes of work which may feature employees and customers
Information you may supply us online:
The Group obtains information about you when you voluntarily submit personal data through the Website or Subsidiary Websites by completing forms to request information from us (enquiring about products and services for example), to submit a rating or review, participating in surveys, registering or applying for job vacancies or career opportunities (through use of our third party supplier, Vacancy Filler), or signing up for communications such as company newsletters and literature.
Please note if you are applying for a job with the Group or registering to join our talent pool or to sign up for job alerts you will be redirected from the Website to Vacancy Filler’s own website which has its own privacy statement.
Information collected by cookies:
Other information you may supply us:
The Group also processes, and may record, personal data collected if you contact us in writing, by email, telephone or other electronic means.
When you submit personal data through the Website or Subsidiary Websites the information you provide will be used to manage your request and to improve the Website or Subsidiary Websites.
We may also use your personal information for marketing purposes, to send you promotional materials or communications regarding services provided by the Group that we feel is relevant and may be of interest to you.
The Group may use your information to:
- Respond to an enquiry you have submitted
- Process an order you have submitted
- Carry out our contractual obligations
- Remind you about servicing or licence renewal dates
- Inform you of other products or services offered by the Group
- Notify you of Group news
- Send whitepapers or literature
- Create marketing materials using business images
- Provide you with financial / RNS feed alerts
- Seek your feedback on the services we provide
- Process a job, apprenticeship or cadet scheme application
- Notify you of vacancies / placement opportunities
- Improve your website experience
- Personalise your repeat website visits
Lawful basis for processing your data
James Fisher and the Group will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- James Fisher would like to keep in touch with you to let you know about the latest news from around the Group and provide you with updates on relevant products and services for marketing purposes; to communicate with stakeholders, potential and existing customers and others who expressly choose to submit their personal data through our Website or Subsidiary Websites. James Fisher and the Group value your privacy and will only process personal data in these circumstances where your express opt-in consent is first provided by you. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time
- Where it is necessary for the purposes of performing an existing contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. This may include activity for legitimate business purposes and for developing customer relationships, such as:
- Contacting you as a potential or existing customer for the purposes of selling goods or services
- To provide useful, informative and relevant information to you about our services and to grow our business
- To enable us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our communications for the benefit of our customers and stakeholders
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation that we are subject to
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around direct marketing. You can view and make certain decisions about your personal data use and you have the right to withdraw your consent / unsubscribe from marketing communications at any time.
Whenever James Fisher processes data for its business execution purposes we will ensure that we always keep your personal data rights in high regard. You have the right to object to this processing, if you would like to object please contact us at email@example.com. But please bear in mind this may affect our ability to carry out tasks for your benefit.
James Fisher endeavours to ensure that personal data is kept as current as possible and that outdated or irrelevant data is deleted or made anonymous as soon as reasonably practicable.
Any personal data that is required for purposes of the conclusion and execution of agreements with business customers, suppliers and business partners or for considering bids or tenders will be held during the duration of the contractual or business relationship, plus the length of any applicable legal or statutory limitation period thereafter.
Unless we process and approve a request to delete your data, we will hold your data for the duration of our business relationship, from the point at which we first processed your data for marketing purposes.
Please note, we are legally required to hold some types of information for longer periods of time to fulfil legal, statutory or regulatory obligations, or shorter periods of time where an individual objects to the processing of their personal data and there is no longer a legitimate purpose to retain it.
Data is securely stored on Group systems and servers in compliance with our internal controls, IT and Communications and Data Protection policies. The Group takes data security seriously and utilises data encryption across its corporate network and websites to reduce the risk of cyber security threats or data breach risks.
The Group will not sell or rent your information to third parties. We may, however, pass your information to third party service providers (sub-processors) who provide IT and system administration services and with whom we have strict contractual agreements, including data protection agreements, which require them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. We may also, when legitimately required, share personal data with professional advisors (including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers providing such services) and with HM Revenue & Customs, regulators and other authorities (who require reporting of processing activity in certain circumstances).
If required, for business execution purposes, James Fisher may need to transfer personal data overseas to Group global offices. Some of these offices may be located in countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) which do not have well developed data protection legislation, compared to the relevant laws within the EEA. James Fisher endeavours to maintain the same levels of security in protecting personal data outside the EEA. Accordingly, you agree that your personal data may be stored, transferred or accessed across national borders and entities only as required for lawful and legitimate purposes or to fulfil legal, statutory or regulatory obligations. You retain the right to object to this processing at any time.
The Group aims to keep its information as accurate as possible. Individuals can access their personal data, request correction or deletion of data (but only where it is no longer required for a legitimate business purpose) and request that the processing of their personal data is restricted, by completing the data request form (PDF) complete with the appropriate identification documentation and submitting to firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending it to the Data Protection Officer, James Fisher and Sons plc, Fisher House, P. O. Box 4, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 1HR, United Kingdom.
This Website and our Subsidiary Websites may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. Please note James Fisher does not control third-party websites and is not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our Website or Subsidiary Websites, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
Our Website and Subsidiary Websites are not directed towards or targeted at children. We will not knowingly collect personal data from children through our Website or Subsidiary Websites.
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy and our privacy practices please contact us by email at email@example.com, in writing to the Data Protection Officer, James Fisher and Sons plc, Fisher House, P. O. Box 4, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 1HR, United Kingdom or by telephone on +44 (0) 1229 615 400 and asking to speak to our Data Protection Officer.