Cadet training scheme
Gain experience and qualifications simultaneously on our cadet trainee programme.
James Fisher runs an active officer trainee scheme, combining college based studies with time at sea. Successful candidates will obtain an Officer of the Watch certificate of competency in deck or engineering and a formal qualification to at least HNC level. At present our officer trainees study at Fleetwood Nautical College, near Blackpool, UK.
To partake in the scheme, you will need to be aged 16+ and have 5 GCSE’s including Maths, English and Science at grade 4-9 (new) or A-C (old). To join the Deck or Engineering Foundation Degree programme you should possess the GCSE grades indicated above with the addition of a grade 5 (new) or B (old) or higher in Mathematics and a minimum of 48 UCAS points (preferably in a relevant field of study).
- Salary of £5,401, £7,222 and £8,100 in years 1,2 and 3 respectively
- College halls of residency paid for including breakfast and evening meals
- Full funding for course and first attempt exam fees
- Uniform and PPE equipment provided
- Travel to and from college at the start and end of term
- Travel to and from our vessels and food during the sea phases
We recruit officer trainees annually in January and September.
Please click the button below to be taken to the vacancy page.