James Fisher Nuclear awarded contract to assist with the retrieval and processing of radioactive waste from the Dounreay shaft and silo.
Building on its extensive track record in providing remote handling systems at Sellafield and Magnox, James Fisher Nuclear (JFN) was awarded a contract to assist with the retrieval and processing of radioactive waste from the Dounreay shaft and silo, in support of the world's deepest nuclear clean-up operation.
Combining proven technology with robust design and safety considerations, JFN supplied waste-sorting remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) which work in conjunction with the bulk retrieval machine (electrically operated travelling crane) located in two new facilities to be constructed above the existing shaft and silo structures.
Dr Paul Read, managing director of JFN.
We have an extensive track record in providing remote handling systems for Sellafield and Magnox, and this contract represents a first for the deployment of our capability at Dounreay. Our specialised remote handling skills are directly applicable to the challenges faced at the Dounreay sites, and we're keen to get started and support DSRL (Dounreay Site Restoration Limited) in the next step of its decommissioning programme.
In May 2013 JFN were awarded a contract worth circa £5 million to support the world's deepest nuclear clean-up project at Dounreay.
Dounreay Site Restoration Limited (DSRL)
- As an integral part of JFN's planned diversification beyond Sellafield, the company will supply a suite of remote handling equipment and end effectors to support the retrieval, sorting and segregation of miscellaneous waste materials from the Dounreay shaft and silo facilities
- The project will be delivered over a 2 year period and involves the construction of a significant test facility in JFN's Rig Hall located in Egremont, West Cumbria
- Inactive testing and operator training will be undertaken prior to the delivery of the equipment to the Dounreay site
- Extensive use of JFN's own Deeside calibration facility to test and prove all of the instrumentation prior to shipping
- Decommissioning and safe retrieval of waste from the high hazard shaft and silo facilities
More case studies
- Read article
James Fisher increases offshore wind asset operations and maintenance (O&M) portfolioRead article
JFD hosts a dive tank test and demonstrationRead article
JFD tests a submarine hull at their National Hyperbaric CentreRead article
Turnkey operations and maintenance at Greater GabbardRead article
James Fisher Renouvelables conducts UXO identification at RTE’s Saint-Nazaire Offshore Wind FarmRead article
JFD conduct two remote audits for Heerema MarineRead article
James Fisher Renouvelables selected by RTE to identify unexploded ordnance (UXO)Read article