- Launch of zone 1 hazardous area wireless load monitoring products
- Strainstall achieves EU-type approval for its container weighing system
- JF Mimic installs system on new cruise vessel Harmony of the Seas
- James Fisher Marine Services acquires leading hydrographic survey capability
- James Fisher Marine Services celebrates growth in the East of England with new office opening
- Mojo Maritime completes landmark tidal turbine installation at MeyGen
- JFD's HeliCom system used in world-first space to subsea call
- JFD and Wuhu sign joint venture 2016
- James Fisher delivers world-first with oil exchange in Belgian waters for Senvion
- James Fisher Rampion Security Vessel
- James Fisher Marine Services wins big at the EEEGR awards
- Strainstall provides specialised mooring monitoring for Hywind
- Partnering with Atlantis on MeyGen tidal array
- Pontoon contract for Rampion offshore wind farm
- Mojo Maritime launches Mermaid
- Strainstall wins the EEEGR Innovative Award 2015
03 August 2015
IFS recognised by EERGR.
IFS™ recognised by East of England Energy Group (EEEGR) as an innovative solution that enables improved offshore asset management
James Fisher and Sons plc’s group company Strainstall has been successfully recognised for its innovative approach to delivering improved safety and cost-effective solutions to the offshore wind industry. Strainstall won the EEEGR Innovation Award 2015 for its Intelligent Fender System (IFS)™, which was assessed on its capability to deliver a contribution to the low carbon economy, show real innovation and add value to the industry.
Addressing key issues, IFS™ provides clarity and understanding of the live and cumulative impact forces exerted during transfer operations through vessel push-ons. The system also supports the on-going challenge for cost-reduction in offshore wind by allowing optimisation of fuel consumption as well as helping to ensure the integrity of the turbine structures.
Expressing his delight at receiving the award, Simon Everett, Managing director at Strainstall said:
“We constantly strive to develop solutions for our customers that make their operations safer, easier and more efficient. We recognised the needs of the offshore wind industry and saw an opportunity to develop a system to fulfil these emerging requirements to monitor the impact forces of vessel push-ons. We were able to draw upon our many years of offshore experience to develop the Intelligent Fender System in-house, using our latest technology, to design a rugged and robust system to give reliability in this tough environment.”
The development of IFS™ sits within the concentrated effort of Strainstall to reinforce its presence as the leading load measurement solutions company worldwide. IFS™ can be used as a standalone system, which can be retro fitted to any vessel, or integrated into Strainstall’s pioneering Offshore Wind Management System (OWMS)™, to help deliver full operational insight for all offshore wind farm activities.
In attendance at the EEEGR event was Fern Doherty, GROW: Offshore Wind Investment Panel manager, who commissioned GROW funding, which significantly boosted the development of IFS™. Expressing her delight about the evening, Doherty said:
“It was fantastic to be present at the event to see how this GROW supported project received industry acclaim and in turn reinforces the decision to support the financial development of the intelligent fender.”
IFSTM also delivers live feedback to skippers during vessel push-on operations enabling greater control to ensure that the foundation’s limits are not exceeded. The system consists of a sophisticated bow frame with integrated load sensors and its innovative design ensures maximum sensitivity and high levels of accuracy.
The load sensors measure the forces generated by a vessel on multiple axis as it impacts upon the wind turbine and can quantify bow fender friction levels as well as impact and push-on forces. This data can is then transmitted in real time to the bridge and can also be sent to shore if required for analysis.