Fendercare supports Wello Penguin Wave Energy Converter
In summer 2012, Fendercare Marine provided key support to the successful Wello Penguin Wave Energy Converter (WEC) installation in Orkney, Lyness.
A range of services were delivered during installation demonstrating Fendercare's ability to support pre-commercial and commercial array installation.
The Wello Penguin WEC is a unique and patented construction designed to harvest ocean energy. It is based on industry standard components, including a generator typically used by wind turbines, to allow scalable manufacturing by virtually any shipyard using existing manufacturing processes.
The Wello Penguin WEC is connected to a mooring system on the Billia Croo test site. The actual installation of the Wello Penguin WEC took only 36 hours and was conducted by a multicat vessel assisted by a harbour tug.
Wello Penguin Wave Energy Converter (WEC).
- Shoreside support from Lyness base
- Project management
- Labour support
- Final ballasting and mooring equipment supply
- Project integration - one supplier
- Delivered on-time and to budget
- Initial results confirmed efficient rotating movement of the Wello Penguin WEC in smaller waves than first anticipated
Download the Wello Penguin Wave Energy Converter case study.