- Fendercare Marine’s fenders continued success story for Forth Logistics Marine Services
- Fendercare Marine supports critical mooring operations at ABP’s Southampton terminal
- Installing BridgeStrike monitoring system for London Underground
- Flavio terminal supplied with SOLAS compliant, CWS fitted reach stackers
Rescue of AS28 Priz - the entangled Russian submersible
James Fisher Defence equipment and personnel mobilised to Kamchatka in response to AS28 Priz incident.
The Russian AS28 submersible became entangled in fishing nets and thus rendered unable to surface on August 5th 2005. The Russian Government called upon the assistance of the international community, and many nations responded including the United Kingdom and James Fisher Defence (now part of JFD).
James Fisher Defence’s Scorpio 45 remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and her support equipment, all designed for air-transportation, were rapidly mobilised to Prestwick International Airport. A RAF C17 aircraft then flew the equipment and team to the Kamchatka peninsula. A multinational effort overcame the challenges of unloading at a remote airfield, before road transportation was undertaken to the mobilisation port. Once at sea, the Scorpio team prepared the ROV, whilst James Fisher Defence and Russian crews worked tirelessly to ensure a stable platform from which to safely carry out the operation.
Scorpio, piloted by James Fisher Defence’s Stuart Gold, began her mission of cutting free the nets entangling the Priz, one by one. Finally, on Sunday August 7th at 16:26 local time, the AS28 successfully surfaced and, moments later, all seven crew exited the vehicle without assistance. Fewer than 12 hours of oxygen remained.
James Fisher Defence completes the successful rescue of the AS28 Priz and her seven Russian crew.
- Equipment mobilisation
- Operational personnel
- All crew safely recovered to the surface without injury
- Safe operation for all involved, despite unfamiliar vessels and vehicles used
- Demonstration of the capabilities of fly-away intervention systems
Download the Rescue of AS28 Priz case study.