- James Fisher Prolec PCX system makes the cut for VINCI
- Strainstall Malaysia obtains major cable-stayed bridge contract in the Philippines
- Strainstall monitoring system helps restore production for major FPSO
- Strainstall partners with First Subsea on world’s largest floating offshore wind farm
PCX makes the cut for VINCI
VINCI Construction Maritime et Fluvial (VCMF) turned to James Fisher Prolec (JFP), to equip its fleet’s latest excavator with specialist dredging technology.
Situation and challenges
- VCMF,– a leading specialist in maritime and river works based in France – required a machine control solution that could be delivered, installed, calibrated, and tested within a narrow lead-time at its facility in Villeneuve-le-Roi, Paris. With the COVID-19 pandemic, this process would need to accommodate travel restrictions while still meeting the project’s challenging schedule.
- The solution needed to integrate seamlessly with the company’s new Liebherr R974 excavator to support a major project at the landmark Barrage des Poses dam – located on the River Siene. To enhance the efficiency of its operations, this was required to enable accurate digging in the location’s low visibility waterway environment.
- Having invested in the guidance solution before, VCMF chose JFP’s advanced PCX system once again to support its requirement for high accuracy dredging works. Using detailed digital terrain models (DTM), this provides a 3D machine working simulation in the cab that enables operators to clearly view progress in real time even when their equipment is hidden below the water’s surface.
- To overcome the challenges of restricted travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, JFP called on the expertise of its German excavator distributor, Tolk & Düsterhus Baggersysteme GmbH (T&D), to ensure the system’s on-schedule commissioning.
- T&D completed the install and commissioning on behalf of JFP, with its expertise in the PCX system and GPS solutions making it the ideal choice. T&D provides coverage from three locations across Germany to support the machine guidance and safety needs of its European customer-base.
Results and benefits
- Having already received the accuracy and efficiency benefits of previous PCX installs, adopting another system enables VCMF to ensure that it continues to mitigate the risk of over excavation and costly reworks as its fleet expands.
- JFP specified and tailored the system to VCMF’s needs, enabling it to implement seamlessly with the company’s pre-existing GPS solution and machine configuration.
- Although the delivery of VCMF’s new excavator was delayed due to challenges associated with COVID-19, the team were able to recover their customer’s timeframe by taking every possible step to accelerate the system’s commissioning, while also solving any possible obstacles to its successful deployment.
- For added assurance, the company’s 24/7 service line remains on-hand to support the maritime and river works specialist going forwards. Operated by the team’s expert engineers, this provides a responsive source of technical assistance should the need arise.
“We found James Fisher Prolec to be highly organised and efficient. Its skilled engineering team completed the system’s delivery and installation quickly and effectively to minimise downtime for our operations. The machine control tool itself is simple to use and has greatly benefited our dredging projects. We look forward to working with the company again in the future.”
- Benjamin Peltier, Equipment Manager, VINCI Construction Maritime et Fluvial.