We are recruiting for a Technical Manager to join on a staff, permanent basis with appropriate experience, certification and qualifications to be based in our Deeside office, North Wales.
The role is to champion the James Fisher NDT [JFNDT] technical activities in the Oil & Gas, Power Generation, Chemical, Utilities, and other major industries / sectors.
The Technical Manager, advises, provides support and ensures statutory and procedural compliance for all technical aspects of the site services division. The role reports to the Managing Director of JF NDT Ltd and will ensure successful technical delivery of projects as required by our clients.
The Technical Manager will be an integral part of our non-destructive testing group working closely with the collective site services team and the other departments to ensure a successful overall project delivery.
As Technical Manager you will lead and manage the technical functions of the business and take a hands-on approach, striving to achieve optimum operational success.
The Technical Manager, will also be responsible for managing and overseeing the technical areas of the company and will take a proactive hands-on approach to achieving results and will be practically minded with a 'can do attitude' to the task.
You'll be a practical Manager and will be experienced in multiple NDT techniques, with good problem solving skills and a keen interest in taking a 'lead by example' approach to your management style.
You'll be prepared to take an active involvement on the shop floor leading and educating your teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Engineering Productivity & Quality
- Overall management of the site’s services team technical resource
- Accountability to ensure that all projects delivered on their site are well engineered and delivered to the customer on time and within budget
- Ensuring JF NDT’s technical processes and procedures are followed to maintain consistency and quality of inspection work
- Maintain a close working relationship with other departments, especially specialist advanced NDT projects to ensure technical activities work smoothly in the delivery of projects.
- Ensuring compliance with both client and statutory requirements
- Maintaining a constant liaison and dialogue with JF NDT’s client base and site services NDT department to ensure the NDT techniques and procedures used are compatible with client standards.
- Performing quality control checking of NDT activities.
- Ensuring final acceptance of NDT inspections is in accordance with contract specification.
- Specifying NDT test requirements needed in support of client activities
- Advising and giving guidance to project QA audits.
- Reviewing suitability of NDT procedures and NDT personnel qualifications.
- Conducting audits both on & off site.
- Providing specialist technical advice and co-ordinating support to the various projects in a bid to
- resolve key NDT issues in order that the respective project milestones and key target dates are
- This role will involve writing procedures and techniques for NDT.
- Ongoing assessment of the balance of skills within the site services team to ensure successful projects can be delivered
- Implementing JF NDT’s policies on investing in and developing people
- Working with HR and other internal stakeholders to recruit new employees
- Conducting formal performance appraisals with direct reports
- Regular contact with field staff to ensure their professional and personal development is on track
- Developing a supportive, encouraging and learning environment for all inspection and support staff
- Developing, communicating and supporting training programmes and initiatives (externally and internally) to up-skill staff
This may include but not be limited to;
- Estimating durations for design of tender items
- Composing technical responses to quotation requests
- Ongoing assessment of technical engineering processes and procedures to identify and implement improvements.
- Implementation of continual improvement initiatives such as visual management tools and ‘toolbox’ talks
Line Management / General Requirements
- Has been accountable for a variety of diverse projects or activities ranging in both size and complexity.
- Experience in a senior role with a line management capacity
- Proven organisational, administrative, and planning abilities
- Commercially and delivery-focused
- High level written and oral communication skills
- Excellent people skills, especially in supporting and motivating staff and in developing the abilities of others
- Experience or familiarity continual improvement methodologies
- Liaison with Operations Department, Technical and Project Managers
- Representing the company during technical presentations and supporting sales throughout the tender process.
- For the role of NDT Technical Manager candidates should be a minimum of PCN Level 3
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT) qualified and ideally hold the following disciplines or have extensive
- knowledge / proven experience of:-
- Phased Array
- Time Of Flight Diffraction
- Majority of inspections use remotely operated automated equipment, and experience in the
- operation of Automated Ultrasonic Testing (AUT) systems or similar would be favourable;
- understanding of other advanced inspection techniques including LRUT, Eddy Current, and
- ACFM inspection would be of great advantage.
- Candidates with a relevant degree may have an advantage.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a similar related role and conversant with the
- oil and gas industry.
- Clear communication skills and be able to liaise with all levels of management and workforce
- A high degree of computer literacy
- Awareness of UKAS 17020
- Knowledge of BS EN NDT standards.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluating and certificating ANDT test results
- Writing and approving detailed NDT procedures/techniques
- Vetting and commenting on standards, specifications and enquiries
- Auditing operator compliance to procedures
- Overseeing the implementation of newly developed inspections on our sites these activities involve working with our contractor partners who deploy inspections at our stations and assessing the results of the inspections.
- Although assigned to the Head Office in Deeside North Wales, the successful candidate will be required to work from the throughout the UK and on-site at management level as required.
- We are looking for an individual who will relish the challenges of this role and someone who wants their next career move to make a major contribution to a business.
This role is subject to a Full UK Security Clearance, eligibility to work in the UK is essential.
What we offer
We offer a competitive remuneration package with long term employment opportunities within the Company.
Suitable candidates shall be considered for further training and career development.
In return the ideal candidate can expect:
- Excellent working environment.
- Competitive Salary.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Attractive benefits package.
- Company Car.