JFD is one of the world’s leading subsea operations and engineering companies providing complex diving and underwater systems to the commercial and defence industries.
JFD, based in Glasgow, provides a range of specialist underwater operating and engineering services in the defence sector worldwide and is looking to recruit an Electrical Engineer to support its growing business.
Drawing support from a multi-disciplinary team, an opportunity exists for an Electrical Engineer to work within the Submarine Escape and Rescue Services (SERS) Engineering Team in Glasgow, and occasionally on-site at other JFD locations in the UK and around the world, to provide engineering/technical support to a range of JFD Submarine Escape and Rescue Services and wider marine-focused customers.
In an exciting environment, and as part of an evolving team, your role will allow you to contribute significantly to the delivery of state-of-the-art technical products and a globally recognised Submarine Escape and Rescue Service.
- Supporting the NATO Submarine Rescue Service (NSRS), James Fisher Singapore Submarine Rescue Service (JFSSRS) and the James Fisher Australia Submarine Rescue Service (JFSRS) with electrical engineering issues, queries, and project activities (and other tasks as they arise).
- Work independently and as part of team to resolve time-critical technical issues from operational systems in support of JFD’s commitment to world-wide rescue system availability.
- Identify Root Cause and Corrective Actions for a wide range of technical issues
- Deal with defect correction, process improvements and engineering changes.
- Maintain up-to-date communications / information exchange with overseas divisions.
- Ensure that project related documentation is complete, accurate and up-to-date.
- Support continuous improvement within JFD.
- Development and adherence of processes, in accordance with JFD QA Department.
- Produce and collate technical reports and aid in decision making based upon their results.
- Provide design instructions to enable creation of Engineering Drawings and other document deliverables.
- Ensure Engineering Change Control and Design Control process is being followed within the team.
- Assist in the assembly and testing of prototype equipment prior to releasing for final engineering work.
- Interact directly with operators and customers
- Input into relevant engineering processes and procedures.
- Degree qualified in an Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Comfortable working independently on complex and varied problems.
- At ease dealing directly with customers, suppliers and contractors.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills - written and verbal.
- Comfortable with maintaining and controlling project documentation, costs and procedures.
- Effectively identify and communicate critical tasks and key risks.
- Display a professional manner and willingness to learn.
- Fully familiar with Microsoft Office suite.
- Focused on delivering to tight deadlines and changing requirements.
- Capable of reacting to changes and willing to go the extra mile to deliver quality products.
- Ability to work effectively within a team structure, accept and understand management instruction and manage own and specified timescales effectively.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Competent in the use of electrical engineering design software tools / CAD packages.
- Familiar with international Quality and Safety standards (e.g. ISO 9001)
- Familiar with working to marine/defence standards and Classification Society rules
- Knowledge and experience of electrical systems used and operated in the underwater domain
- Familiar with AutoCAD 2D or Electrical.
- Subsea/offshore/defence background
- Experience of commercially sensitive projects and the security aspects this entails
- UK Government Security Clearance
- Full clean driving licence